Around the holidays one cookie is king in our home. Pepparkakor cookies, or Swedish Ginger Cookies are my husbands favorite. In addition to getting a huge tin of them from the store, usually my Mother-in-law sends homemade ones.
**(This year we were going to make them, but just got too busy…. I am planning on making some for my hubs for his birthday! SHHH!)
Apparently a love of the Pepparkakor is a genetic trait! My son is a Swedish Cookie Monster! If he even sees you go near the tin of cookies, he is on top of you begging for some.
Swedish Pepparkakor Cookies
- 1/2 c Molasses
- 1/2 c Sugar
- 1/2 c Butter
- 1 Egg, well beaten
- 2 1/2 c Sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 ts Salt
- 1/4 ts Baking soda
- 1/2 ts Ginger
- 1/2 ts Cinnamon
- Pinch Nutmeg
- Heat molasses in small saucepan to boiling point. Let boil for one minute. Add sugar and butter to mixture and stir until butter is melted. Let it cool. Beat in one egg. Sift together flour, salt, soda and spices. Add dry ingredien to first mixture and mix thoroughly. Cover bowl tightly and chill overnight.
- Roll out a portion of the dough at a time on lightly floured pastry cloth. Roll out pretty thin. Cut into desired shapes. (Hearts and gingerbread men are common, but you can do anything!) Bake in a moderate oven (350) for 6 to 8 minutes. These will yield: 10 dozen cookies
Another easy way to cook: The dough may be shaped into a log and wrapped in waxed paper. Place in fridge and chill thoroughly overnight or longer. The next day use knife to slice thin and bake in moderate oven (350). These should be stored in an air-tight container to last longer and bring out the flavors. The dough can also be stored in the freezer for later use.
6 pepparkakor cookies only have 110 calories! How awesome is that! They really are the perfect holiday cookie!
Latest posts by Emily (Posts)
- Don’t Call It A Comeback - February 7, 2019
- The Little Prince at The Smith Center Las Vegas – Ticket Giveaway - January 31, 2017
- 3 Simple Ways To Add Color To Your Diet @SUBWAY @OfficialSubway - January 13, 2017
- Disney’s Moana in Dolby Cinema at AMC Movie Review - November 27, 2016