Have you ever asked yourself if you are truly using your car seat properly? I know I have, and as a blogger I get a lot of car seat questions from my readers. That is why I have teamed with Chicco to bring you some Frequently Asked Questions and answers to those questions! Most of these are questions I get as a blogger who writes about baby/kid gear and products on a regular basis. But before I launch into those, I wanted to share a bit about why car seat safety became a passion of mine.After the birth of my first child like many first time parents, I was a bit overwhelmed when it came to all the information/advice that people were sharing with me. I was worried all the time that I would do something horribly wrong. Thankfully, I didn’t and my sweet boy is now 7 years old and still teaching me new things every day, but that isn’t to say I didn’t make my fair share of mistakes!
After the birth of my first child like many first time parents, I was a bit overwhelmed when it came to all the information/advice that people were sharing with me. I was worried all the time that I would do something horribly wrong. Thankfully, I didn’t and my sweet boy is now 7 years old and still teaching me new things every day, but that isn’t to say I didn’t make my fair share of mistakes!
Some of the mistakes I regretted the most were ones that came to Car Seat Safety. They were innocent mistakes, once I learned to do better, we did, and it wasn’t until after I shared my stories of what I did wrong when it came to car seat safety that I learned I wasn’t alone in making those mistakes.
Over the past 7 years, I have really dedicated myself to learning and understanding as much about car seat safety as I can. In fact, I am actually considering becoming a Car Seat & Passenger Safety Technician. As I mentioned previously, I often get asked about car seats. In fact (and I can’t make this up) my friend actually just texted me to see which car seat she should get next for her 7-year-old who has outgrown his current seat!!
Chicco kindly answered several of the most commonly asked Car Seat Safety questions I’ve gotten or heard from friends and family. Check them out below, and then enter to win a Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seat!
Car Seat Safety Q&A
- When can I use my child’s convertible car seat in a forward-facing mode?
- Keep your child rear-facing in their car seat until at least 2 years old. Are your kid’s feet touching the seat back? Do they look a little cramped? That’s okay. Kids are a lot more flexible than adults. Kids need to stay rear-facing for as long as possible to protect their head and neck in the event of a crash. Kids do not need to be turned forward-facing until they reach the maximum height or weight of the car seat. Kids are fragile, and they are best-protected rear-facing, even if that means they have a little less leg room.
- How do I know if a car seat will fit my vehicle?
- Before purchasing a car seat, test it! Most retailers will let you test a car seat in your vehicle before purchasing. You can also look for car seats with features that make installation simple, like bubble level indicators and multiple recline angles.
- Where is the safest place to install a car seat in my vehicle?
- In most instances, the middle rear seat is the safest place for your car seat. However, there are multiple factors to consider; the most important being a seat location that allows you to install your car seat easily and correctly every time.
- Does my car seat need to be replaced if it’s been involved in a car accident?
- Yes, you must replace your car seat if it has been involved in a vehicle crash, even if you can’t see visible damage. A damaged car seat may not protect your child in a future accident.
- Can children wear coats and blankets under the snaps or over?
- Don’t buckle your child into a car seat with bulky clothing, blankets or add-on products like a car seat bunting. The added padding can interfere with the harness fit and crash performance of the seat. A good trick is to buckle your child in without his or her jacket and then put it back on backward over the harness.
- Can you put the car seat in a shopping cart?
- While it seems convenient, infant car seats are not designed to be secured to the top of shopping carts. Because the car seat is not properly attached, one bump could cause your infant car seat along with baby to topple off the top of the cart, or the weight from the car seat could cause the cart to tip over. We recommend you put the car seat in the basket of the cart or use a carrier when shopping.
- How do I know if the straps are too loose or too tight?
- To check the harness straps on your child’s car seat for tightness, you should pinch the harness material at the top of the shoulders. The harness should be tight and secure without digging into your child. Tip: You may need to move the shoulder pads out of the way so you can get an accurate check.
Do you have any other questions? Let me know if the comments below and I will follow up with you to get the best and correct answer!
Enter to win a Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seat (retail value – $199!).
Reasons to LOVE the Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seat
- Easy to install with seat belt or latch
- Compatible with many top-rated strollers
- FAA Cetified for air travel
- Fits infants 4-30lbs and 30″
- Excellent safety ratings
Giveaway is open to US residents only. Please use the below rafflecopter form to enter!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Latest posts by Emily (Posts)
- The Little Prince at The Smith Center Las Vegas – Ticket Giveaway - January 31, 2017
- 3 Simple Ways To Add Color To Your Diet @SUBWAY @OfficialSubway - January 13, 2017
- Disney’s Moana in Dolby Cinema at AMC Movie Review - November 27, 2016
- Watch Disney’s MOANA in Dolby Cinema at AMC Prime - November 22, 2016