When I was pregnant with Squishy I used to wish that he wouldn’t be born with my allergies/asthma issues. I have struggled my whole life with them, and didn’t want my son to have to deal with it too!
Unfortunately, as Squishy approached a year it became obvious that he had indeed inherited not only my allergies but also my asthma issues.
We live in the desert which means dust galore. Every time the wind would pick up here in Vegas, so would my son’s allergies. Poor Squishy was sneezing, all boogers, and eventually he would begin to wheeze.
Watching your child suffer is something any mom would do all in their powers to keep at bay. After several trips to Squishy’s pediatrician we finally found a combination of medicine that worked at preventing my son’s allergies and in turn his asthma.
Everyday my son takes a Claritin chewable first thing in the morning. I have found it to be the most effective without making him dopey. At night he takes a Singulair chewable and takes a puff of an inhaled steroid. He also has a fast acting inhaler if he starts to wheeze.
I have also taken several steps around our home to help with his allergies.
- We switched vacuums to a from a bag-less to a bagged vacuum. This insures that the dust I vacuum up stays contained. Whenever I emptied the bag-less vacuum it always seemed to release dust clouds back into the air! Now our bags also have a hepa filter in them!
- We upgraded our filters in our home to ones with hepa filters.
- We wash our sheets in very hot water on a weekly basis.
- We limit outdoor activities when the wind is really blowing.
- We make sure not to miss a day with his medicine.
- When he starts using pillows I plan on encasing his bedding in allergy control products.
- The Hubs and I have discussed purchasing a clean air hepa purifier system for the home.
All these steps really help to stop Squishy’s Sneezing and keep him Smiling!