I can hardly believe that I had enough will power to make it a week with No grains, beans, dairy, sugar, or alcohol. (The no alcohol part was easy it was everything else that kinda kicked my a$s.) If you are curious as to why I started the Whole30, please check out my first post and my week 1 Whole30 menu plan.
Since I am exclusively breastfeeding my 4 month old baby during my journey, I am really trying to make sure I am eating when I am hungry. While the Whole30 guidelines suggest to cut out snacking if possible, when I am nursing Baby D every 2-3 hours during the day and every 4-5 hours at night I am getting hungry and feeling like I need a little bit more food. I am not worried about snacking this time through my Whole30.
One of the most important things I have been doing was making sure I have a minimum of 90ozs of water daily. I have also been enjoying Green Tea in the afternoons and a Sweet & Spicy Tea from Good Earth at night.
I also got 4 good hour long workouts in this week. My goal is between 4-5 workouts per week. I am also adding in strength training to my cardio starting this coming Monday.
Days 1 & 2
The first two days weren’t as bad as I thought they would be. I was eating big meals 3 times a day with a snack or two depending on my hunger.
- Breakfast: Banana, cucumber, and 3-egg omelet with olives and pico de gallo.
- Lunch: A super easy salad to which I added grilled chicken.
- Dinner: Balsamic chicken with sweet potato mash and roasted veggies (broccoli and zucchini).
- Snacks: Carrots with almond butter and two hard boiled eggs with a tomato. Ended the night with tea.
- Breakfast: After a rushed morning I made a quick smoothie (Almond Milk with frozen mixed berries and spinach) and ate a banana.
- Lunch: Salad with roasted veggies, kalamata olives, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado (which was so creamy I didn’t need dressing) and chicken.
- Dinner: 4 chicken sausages with leftover roasted veggies and sweet potato coins.
- Snacks: Mango, strawberries, and carrots with almond butter.
Days 3 & 4
These days were hard as I was more tired than usual and had a headache upon waking up and going to bed. I didn’t feel hungry these days after my meals at all. But I was feeling my energy return which is very nice. I did seem to notice all the things I couldn’t have at the grocery store more. I wasn’t hungry for them, but if you would have handed me a PB&J sandwich I would have kissed you while I enjoyed every bite!
- Breakfast: 3 eggs with Pico de Gallo, cuties, and mushrooms.
- Lunch: Shredded pork with Pico de Gallo, avocado, and carrots.
- Dinner: Crockpot chicken, with a bit of organic clean balsamic, sweet potato coins, steamed cauliflower with Janes Crazy mixed up salt.
- Snacks: Larabar (which isn’t the best Whole30 snack but it was perfect for me in a pinch and a banana with a spoon of almond butter.
- Breakfast: 3 egg scramble made with orange bell peppers and mushrooms. Banana on the side.
- Lunch: Salad with tuna, olives, peppers, avocado, sun dried tomatoes, and sugar snap peas.
- Dinner: Turkey with taco seasoning, mushrooms, bell peppers, broccoli, water chestnuts, carrots, onions and salsa.
- Snack: Dates, raisins, cashews.
Days 5 & 6
Finally, no headache and feeling great. This is also the first time in a long time that I actually truly felt the hunger cue saying I was full and didn’t need to finish my food. I had peeled 3 hardboiled eggs, but I only needed to eat two. It was a good feeling to listen to my body and not eat mindlessly. Day 6 seemed to bring a huge hunger. I felt like I couldn’t eat enough. I tried to eat more fats and protein to satisfy my hunger longer.
- Breakfast: 3 hard boiled eggs (only needed two) with sweet potatoes, and cauliflower.
- Lunch: Leftover turkey taco crumble. (See day 4).
- Dinner: Tuna salad with avocado, olives, cucumbers, sun dried tomatoes, romaine.
- Snacks: Banana, cashews, raisins.
- Breakfast: Running late… Two hard boiled eggs, small handful cashews, and a banana.
- Lunch: Salad with nitrate-free bacon, roasted turkey breast, chicken, tomatoes, avocado, cucumber, olives.
- Dinner: Grilled chicken breast with guacamole and green beans with ghee.
- Snack: Sweet potato with almond butter.
End of week 1. I am still learning the balance of my meals. How much protein and fats I need to keep my body full and happy longer. Baby D seemed to have a lot of gas after Day 6, but did just fine Day 7. Not sure what caused it, but I like that I have these pictures to look back on if I need to troubleshoot. As far as breastfeeding, I am happy to say my milk seems to be adjusting fine. Baby D has days where he will eat from both breasts at a feeding, and other days where he seems satisfied after just one breast, but I am not worried at this point about supply at all. I have noticed his eczema rash is gone which only further makes me believe it was a reaction to the dairy in my diet. I love all the energy I have.
I did have one big bump into day, but I am happy to say I didn’t cheat despite all the cheating my mind was doing. We have previously made plans to meet friends at our favorite local pizzeria. How I longed to reach across the table and scarf down one of the delicious pizza pies, but I stayed strong and ate a chicken breast with a dry salad. It did not satisfy me at the time, but once I got home I was fine and the craving had passed. However, that pizza seemed to spark my imagination, as visions of cupcakes and even soda pop played with my cravings all day.
- Breakfast: 3 eggs with a sweet potato.
- Lunch: I ended up with a chicken breast and salad with no dressing.
- Dinner: Kitchen sink salad using up much of the remaining produce, and added a pan seared chicken breast. Also had roasted cauliflower & brussel sprouts.
- Snacks: Banana, with almond butter, and coconut flakes.
I am happy to say I am ready for week 2. I am hoping the cravings go away this week as I settle into my month on the Whole30.
If you want to see what I am eating every day – follow me on Instagram as I post my meals nightly!
Latest posts by Emily (Posts)
- Don’t Call It A Comeback - February 7, 2019
- The Little Prince at The Smith Center Las Vegas – Ticket Giveaway - January 31, 2017
- 3 Simple Ways To Add Color To Your Diet @SUBWAY @OfficialSubway - January 13, 2017
- Disney’s Moana in Dolby Cinema at AMC Movie Review - November 27, 2016