“each new window contributes to the breadth of our view.” – cecil frank powell
Recently a wonderful blogger Nicole wrote a post on her blog Searching for Sustenance. Her post – Where are all my Hummingbirds – A Call to Action reminded us that today – March 4th – is Do Something Day. And while it is wonderful to have a day where we all try to do something different to help change the world one small change at a time, she challenged us to take it a step further and make March – Do Something Month.
She talked about a movie she had recently watched, (and I plan to check out soon) called Dirt: The Movie. In this movie they talk about the story of a little hummingbird.
I think we all feel like this hummingbird at times. We are just one person – what difference can we really make?
But the answer to that isn’t what you think it is. One person doing the best they can, really can make change. No matter how small, or how big.
For instance, Nicole wrote one post – And it had an impact on me. So I wrote a post. Who knows if I will impact anyone, but I am doing the best I can.
Want another example – look at the teacher, and parents, and everyday people, standing up in Wisconsin saying they will no longer stand for over Republican Gov. Scott Walker’s proposal to cut union rights for state workers.
Or here is another one – Did you know that $25 donated to From Hunger to Hope = 100 hungry children will have a full belly? ($1 = 4 children fed)
You see making a difference doesn’t have to mean a huge effort on your part. Here are some more ideas:
- Start Recycling
- Pick a cause you love and donate $10 a month. (that is only 2 coffees!)
- Teach your child how to garden.
- Turn off the water while you are brushing your teeth.
- Stand in support of something you believe in.
- Smile at a stranger.
- Pick up trash on your daily walk, or trip to the playground.
- Donate a few cans of food to your local food bank.
- Buy an extra pack of diapers and donate it to your local family support or woman’s shelter.
- Buy Local and support your community.
See how simple doing something can really be? So what are you going to do today?
Start by doing the best you can.
Latest posts by Emily (Posts)
- Don’t Call It A Comeback - February 7, 2019
- The Little Prince at The Smith Center Las Vegas – Ticket Giveaway - January 31, 2017
- 3 Simple Ways To Add Color To Your Diet @SUBWAY @OfficialSubway - January 13, 2017
- Disney’s Moana in Dolby Cinema at AMC Movie Review - November 27, 2016