The last time my family took a “real” vacation was our honeymoon. Due to the nature of my husband’s job we have taken weekends or 3-4 days here or there, but a true long vacation? It hasn’t happened in years. I think that would make us “vacation dabblers”.
Embassy Suites partnered with Parents magazine, which recently named the brand one of the 10 Best Hotel Chains for Families of 2012, to survey* the vacation-taking habits of 1,800+ American families. The survey revealed that between busy family schedules, work demands and other family commitments, families have increasingly become “vacation dabblers,” so Embassy Suites has set out to help families “more-imize” their getaways to get more vacation fun, relaxation and memories this summer. The following are key insights obtained from the survey:
Busy Families Mean Less Vacation “Maximizing” and More Vacation “Dabbling”
- A majority of families (56 percent) classify themselves as “vacation dabblers,” who take vacations days here and there throughout the year.
- More than one-quarter (27 percent) consider themselves to be “vacation extenders,” tacking vacation days onto holidays when they already get time off from work/school.
- Families who take big, extended trips are in the minority; just thirteen percent are “vacation maximizers” who bank up vacation days for one long trip.
- When it comes to vacation, families don’t wait until the last minute. Only four percent classify themselves as “vacation accumulators,” holding onto vacation days until the very end of the year, when they have to “use ’em” or “lose ’em”.
With Vacation Dabbling On The Rise, Families Are Taking Shorter Vacations
- Nearly one-half (48 percent) of families haven’t taken a medium length trip (3-4 nights) over the past year.
- More than one-half (51 percent) of families haven’t taken a longer trip (5+ nights) over the past year.
This year my family is going to break our trend. We are planning a week long vacation coming up this fall and I could NOT be more excited for it!
How would you like to take a vacation with your family?
Embassy Suites Hotels is running a great giveaway now until July 20th!
Five lucky families will win a week-long family vacation!
Each vacation package includes:
- Seven nights at any Embassy Suites Hotels™
- $10,000 for spending cash and round trip airfares for four
Show us your family’s “vacation face” that look of excitement and joy you get when you’ve finally booked that much-needed vacation. Upload your family’s “vacation face” photo with a caption explaining how your family plans to get the most out of your summer vacation before, during and after.
Latest posts by Emily (Posts)
- Don’t Call It A Comeback - February 7, 2019
- The Little Prince at The Smith Center Las Vegas – Ticket Giveaway - January 31, 2017
- 3 Simple Ways To Add Color To Your Diet @SUBWAY @OfficialSubway - January 13, 2017
- Disney’s Moana in Dolby Cinema at AMC Movie Review - November 27, 2016