I think we are going to be sad as strawberry season comes to an end here. While we could find other strawberries, buying them isn’t exactly eco-friendly or wallet-friendly. Thankfully we were able to freeze some.
So since it is a green-blog hop today, I thought I would try to focus on the changes we are making in our home to go green. While we are still new greenies, we are trying to make an effort to reduce our carbon footprint, and I would like to teach my children how to respect the world you live in. If you aren’t the type of “diving in head-first” making radical changes to your home (and trust me my hubs is not that kind of person), try making simple adjustments to your life style, and help instill a sense of responsiblity to our children in the process. It is my goal that eventually these small changes will add up to big impact.
Here are some of the things we have done:
1. Signed up for the local recycling program. I was amazed at the end of the first two weeks how much we had that we used to be throwing out.
2. Use Cloth Diapers instead of Disposables. Cloth diapering is a lot easier than it used to be. We actually use a diaper service, which is one of the greenest ways to diaper. They use extrememly high effeciency machines, and in a town where water is at an all time low, every little bit counts
3. Installed window tinting on all of our windows. This helps to keep the house cooler naturally.
4. Buy local, Organic produce wherever possible. I can’t always buy organic, but I try to fit it into our budget where I can. When I can’t I shop at places that supply the store with fresh local produce, like Fresh and Easy. I also get a large amount of my produce through a co-op, which ensures it is seasonal produce.
Some of the things that I would like to get better at:
1. Bringing re-usable bags when I shop. I always forget!
2. Be better about turning off lights. I confess, I am horrible about this
Are you going green in your homes? What are some of the things you do?
Latest posts by Emily (Posts)
- Don’t Call It A Comeback - February 7, 2019
- The Little Prince at The Smith Center Las Vegas – Ticket Giveaway - January 31, 2017
- 3 Simple Ways To Add Color To Your Diet @SUBWAY @OfficialSubway - January 13, 2017
- Disney’s Moana in Dolby Cinema at AMC Movie Review - November 27, 2016