In honor of REAL STEEL being released to theaters this weekend, I decided to share a series of interviews with you that I call The Men of REAL STEEL.
Next up is the completely charming, witty, and utterly hilarious Anthony Mackie. (Who plays Finn in the movie.)
(from left to right) Director Shawn Levy, Boxing guru Sugar Ray Leonard, Actor Anthony Mackie, Actor Hugh Jackman.
Interviewing Anthony Mackie was a blast. He was so interactive, telling jokes, and sharing lots of stories. Instead of doing just the traditional Q&A, I thought I would share things I learned while interviewing Anthony Mackie that everyone should know:
- He is ridiculously funny! The whole room was pretty much laughing thought the whole interview.
- He isn’t afraid to “go there”. And by that I mean no person was off limits when it came to his humor. He is an equal opportunity comedian.
- He chooses his roles very carefully so as not to back himself into a type cast.
- He believes in hard work and he is a huge Saints fan. When he was 17 he got a summer job and used the money to buy Saints season tickets. As he got better and better jobs he moved his seats up.
- He is a family man.
- He swears he can sit on his couch and laugh at himself for hours.
- He cares about the movies he chooses to do. He doesn’t just do a movie to do a movie. He puts thought into his roles.
Q. What type of character do you prefer playing.
I like playing characters I can have fun with. I feel as actors we get paid a King’s ransom to do a boys job.
I just look for a really good director and an interesting story. I feel like there are so many great stories that are not being told.
Q. It looks like you had a lot of fun with your character in the movie, was it as fun?
It’s a lot of fun. I mean I enjoy — I love what I do. I wanted to be an actor just because it’s like — it’s he best of worlds, you know. You get a real job, and you can pay your rent, and you get to meet celebrities.
… So when you show up on set, and there is an 8 foot tall robot, we’re gonna have fun you know?
Q. What’s next for you?
I am shooting a film called The Gangster Squad with Ryan Gosling, Sean Penn, and Josh Brolin. I’m the black guy.
Just like in his other movies, I found Anthony Mackie very believable and entertaining as the role of Finn in REAL STEEL. I really enjoy watching movies and you feel like you aren’t just watching the actor, but their character. Anthony Mackie does that very well.
Disney/DreamWorks provided me with an all expenses paid trip to LA for an advance screening of Real Steel. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. I am in no way obligated to provide positive reviews.
Thank you Louise of MomStart.com for taking such awesome pictures.
Latest posts by Emily (Posts)
- Don’t Call It A Comeback - February 7, 2019
- The Little Prince at The Smith Center Las Vegas – Ticket Giveaway - January 31, 2017
- 3 Simple Ways To Add Color To Your Diet @SUBWAY @OfficialSubway - January 13, 2017
- Disney’s Moana in Dolby Cinema at AMC Movie Review - November 27, 2016