This past weekend I had the most amazing opportunity to not only attend the Evo Conference at The Canyons in Park City Utah, (Hosted by TodaysMama.com and MomItForward.com) but I also got to sit down and do a One on One session in the New Balance suite with Holly Perkins.
First of all, many many thanks to New Balance for sponsoring the event and giving me the two coolest sneakers in my closet. A new pair of TrueBalance and Cross Trainers not only make my feet happy, but my body as well. And they are super cute to boot!!
First up check these awesome ToneBalance shoes!
True Balance breakthrough balance board technology offers stylish comfort with enhanced muscle toning and calorie burning while you walk. The lightweight, fashion-forward 875 is all about wellness—whether you lace them up because they look great or for your health, you’re in for a comfortable ride. – New Balance website
I also was able to get an amazing pair of cross trainers. I think they are not only super cute, and also crazy light and airy feeling.
On my second day I got to sit down with Holly Perkins of Holly Perkins Fitness.
Here are 10 Fitness and Health Gems she shared with me. I will try to explain them to the best of my knowledge – but Holly was great, and I bet you could head over to her facebook page if you have any specific questions.
10. Lately I have been focusing on HIIT workouts. I have been frustrated at my lack of weight-loss especially since I know I have been working so hard. Holly informed me that I NEEDED to add some steady state cardio into my routine. She suggested walking 3xs a week for 50, 60, and 75 minutes respectively. All treadmill sessions should be done at a 5% incline between 3.6 and 4.0 intensity. She believes that will help speed up my weight loss, and allow my body to recover between HIIT workouts. – I promise to let you know how it goes!
9. Do you know how to calculate your max heart rate? – Weight – (88% of age) = Max Heart Rate
8. Popular media has us believing weight-loss should be around 2lbs per week. Holly believes that it really is more around 1lb per week, and only with REAL EFFORT. (This is if you do things the right way!)
7. Don’t go longer than 5 hours without eating. (During waking hours.) Really, you should NEVER GET HUNGRY!
6. Short on Time?? Check out Holly’s workout on ExerciseTV.com she has many workouts – but her 20 Minute Sweat Workout is available for download at only $1.99 and has some great reviews! I will definitely be checking it out!
5. Are you like me and guilty of eating one or two meals a day? Holly said that is really awful for my body. When you only eat 2+ meals a day your blood sugar drops out which makes your body store fat!
4. If you eat 5-6 smaller meals through out the day (ideally 2-3 hours apart), your body doesn’t feel like it needs to hang on for dear life to those calories. Thus you body burns more of the calories and stores less calories!
3. When planning your meals – first ask yourself “What is my protein source.” You should have 3 meals with 21+ grams of protein. Then add in your fruits/veggies and complex carbs. (3 eggs= 21g protein. 3oz chicken/turkey = 21g protein)
2. Eat within 1 hour of first waking up, and always have a protein snack after working out to help your body maximize your workouts!!
1. When it comes to teaching your children good habits, “You Doing is better that You Showing.” – AMEN!!
I found Holly to be incredibly sweet, knowledgeable, and approachable. She listened to my questions and concerns, and offered advice and suggestions. This was even after I was 15 minutes late to my appointment, and slightly bleary-eyed from drinking a couple glasses of wine the night before. (Something I rarely do anymore, but it was my first night away from the baby in 2 years!)
I look forward to incorporating her tips into my workouts and eating routines. Thank you to New Balance for sponsoring the suite at Evo Conference and making Holly available to us to ask questions!
(Disclaimer: Do not start an exercise program without first consulting your Doctor.)
Thanks so much to Holly Perkins for these awesome tips. You can find Holly on facebook at Holly Perkins Fitness where she is currently documenting her 40 Best Body Project – her quest to get to her best body before hitting 40. She posts workouts for you to follow as well. You can also find her on twitter @Holly_Perkins.
Holly Perkins holds a B.S. in Exercise Physiology and Nutrition from Penn State and has been a celebrity trainer for over 14 years. Holly’s workouts come straight from her experience working with athletes and celebrities who include Adrian Grenier, Howard Stern, and a Presidential Candidate. As the official New Balance Fitness Ambassador, Holly will be teaming up with Exercise TV and Susan G Komen for the Cure to provide the original workouts found here. In 2010, Holly will be opening one of the very first LEED certified green gyms located in Los Angeles. – via exercise TV
Latest posts by Emily (Posts)
- Don’t Call It A Comeback - February 7, 2019
- The Little Prince at The Smith Center Las Vegas – Ticket Giveaway - January 31, 2017
- 3 Simple Ways To Add Color To Your Diet @SUBWAY @OfficialSubway - January 13, 2017
- Disney’s Moana in Dolby Cinema at AMC Movie Review - November 27, 2016