I love Michaels craft store! I can easily walk around that store for hours… in fact these days I often consider my “me time” any time I get to go to Target or Michaels on my own! Last week while looking for things to stuff our non-candy treat bag Valentine’s for K’s class I found these frames for $1 and quickly decided to do a Valentine’s Day handprint craft for all of the kid’s grandparents.
The best part was the whole craft cost less than $5!
What you will need:
(Sorry – I painted the frame before I took the picture – if you are looking for them at Michaels they are actually raw wood)
- Heart Shaped Frame – $1
- Paint (I picked 3 colors. One as a base, and a different color for each child’s hand) – $.50 each
- Foam Brush (I like these because they are cheap, but easily spread the paint on the child’s hand and the craft.) – $.25
- Plate – free I already owned it
- Picture to cut into frame – $.20 prints at Walgreens
- Sharpie Marker – $.99
- Paint wood frame in color of choice.
- Let dry.
- Use the kid with the biggest hands first. Paint hand.
- Place handprin.
- Let dry.
(Tip: I find it helpful to talk about and practice a ‘no-paint’ handprint first. This keeps little fingers from smudging or smearing their paint.)
- Repeat with next handprint in a different color.
(Tip: Use the darker colors for older children, it turns out better.)
- When craft is dry, use Sharpie to write message on front. Since the frame is heart shaped I just added “we” and “you” for and overall effect of “We Love You!”
- Write names and ages of children on back of frame and date it.
- Most importantly have fun!!
This could be done in any color combination for any holiday. I hope my son’s grandparents love it as much as I do!
For other Valentine’s Crafts and Free Printables check out these posts:
- I Love You Sign Language Craft
- Treat/Gift Bag Valentine’s Tags – Free Printable
- The Best Valentines Call Me “Mom” – Free Printable
- Love Robot – Valentine’s Day Card Box
- Valentine’s Day Ideas for Boys
Latest posts by Emily (Posts)
- Don’t Call It A Comeback - February 7, 2019
- The Little Prince at The Smith Center Las Vegas – Ticket Giveaway - January 31, 2017
- 3 Simple Ways To Add Color To Your Diet @SUBWAY @OfficialSubway - January 13, 2017
- Disney’s Moana in Dolby Cinema at AMC Movie Review - November 27, 2016
I love this so much! Perfect for grandparents!! I wonder if it would look overkill to have 4 little handprints, though? Maybe I’ll do 2 and two!
This is just precious and so perfect for grandparents!
Adorable! What a neat craft for the kids.
Shop with Me Mama says
Oh my that is sooo adorable! I love Michaels store too! When I go in there, I have a VERY hard time leaving!!!
Amber Edwards says
Oh bless my heart that is so adorable! I bet the grandparents are in complete love with them! I would love them as a parent! And i know my kid’s grandparents would really cherish a Valentine’s Day craft like this one!
I love this, how adorable. This would be perfect for day care and sunday school
This is so cute! I know my husband would love it 🙂
cori @ corisbigmouth says
This is absolutely adorable! What a fun craft and gift!
Mama to 5 BLessings says
what a cute keepsake and gift – pinned!
This is a great idea for the little kids. They love crafts and giving gifts.
Slap Dash Mom says
I love this! It’s such a cute yet simple craft idea. And then you could do this in different ways for other holidays!
I can’t believe how simple and inexpensive this craft is – I need to try that with my two boys – they love handprint crafts!
Brie Snyder says
That’s a cute craft! Also a great way to introduce your little ones to art. They love getting messy with finger paints don’t they?